Are you wondering when your auto tags expire? It’s a very good question because by knowing when your tags expire you can avoid having to pay late penalty fees. The DMV has 3 tiers of penalties after it is due: the first day you are late, then the second goes in effect after the 10th day, and the 3rd and final kicks in 10 additional days after that. For some individuals, this could mean hundreds if not thousands of dollars in penalties (yes, I have seen this). But for most people, it’s in the $21 to $100 range. There are a few ways to find out when the due date for your vehicle registration is. Here’s a list of them:
- Look at the registration card: IF your registration card is folded, the expiration date at the top of the registration card. This is the EXACT date that your auto tags expire. Here is a photo below showing you the date.
- Look at the registration renewal reminder: The registration renewal reminder is sent annually to you by the DMV, it has the specific date that your registration is due. Below is a picture of what it looks like.
- Look at the registration expiration date on the title: The registration expiration date is on the title. I have circled it in red below.
- Look at the license plate: Your license plate does not tell you the specific date when your auto registration expires but it will give you an idea: it will tell you the month and the year it will expire. Below is an example an example of one that expires on November 2013.
- Call us: Our friendly staff is available to answer this simple question for you right over the phone. There is no charge or obligation – just give us a call and the mystery of when your car tags expire is solved!
It is also important to debunk some myths and misinformation about when your auto tag expires. Your auto tags do not expire on the final date of the month, or the first day of the month after the month your expired on. You may have a date of 10/31/2013 as an expiration date, but that does not mean someone else that has an October 2013 sticker has the exact date as yours. Every person is different and it is important not to assume – not unless you want to pay late penalty fees for an expired tag or even worse, get your car towed. Give us a call, shoot as an e-mail or follow the simple instructions above to find out when your auto registration expires!